Saturday, October 3, 2009

What's-its-name

When I was outside walking today, I remembered why I walk. There is something that overcomes me, when I step on soil and twigs, and feel myself surrounded by these great big trees. Some people like wide open spaces. I am very happy to be sandwiched in on the trail by trees. I feel like they are these supernatural Elders watching over me.

Everything in my head seems to leap out of me, and new ideas flood in when I am greeted by so many aspects greeting me. I thought I smelled lavender today. And eucalyptus and fennel. And there was a particular smell of earth and sunlight mixed together. And then there are all the noises while I am walking of slithering things sliding, and other things scurrying under crackling leaves and bushes.

I love walking on all the gravel. I always pick this over cement if I have a choice. I have always loved the feel of gravel under my feet. It almost tickles, and the sound to me is lovely. When I was a runner, it was my absolute favorite thing to run on. Put me on gravel, and I went flying.

When I walk, and my energy is high, like it was today, I feel like I am floating. My body is just moving through the air, and my legs move so swiftly and with such ease that it is like water being poured from a pitcher. It just happens and flows. And then there are the birds I see up in the sky like today. There were these marvelous hawks. I remember getting distracted from the beauty because I wanted to be certain that these birds with the enormous wings were hawks. Not some other bird by a different name. This is so funny to me now that I think of it. I had to make sure in the midst of my enjoyment, that I could "name" them properly.

I thought about how I also wasn't certain that the lavender smell was lavender. And that it was unlikely that it was lavender because I didn't see any of the flowers. It is funny how the urge to name and categorize pops in during a deeply sensing experience. Sometimes I think it is the mind getting nervous and saying, "Hang on, guys. We don't want her to get lost in it, or we'll be steamed noodles!" It sure is funny to notice this preoccupation, though. It is like having an orgasm and wanting to count how many minutes it lasts. Just a funny human thing, I guess.

Thing. This is a good word. I am going to use it more often. Maybe it will allow my brain to feel like noodles more often and smell more lavender in my life. And see more hawks that may not actually BE hawks. "Thing" is not considered good because there are so many adjectives to use. Then one can be specific in their description and exact. But thing means I am not naming, not really explaining. I am just walking and taking it in without knowing. Sometimes it is not necessary to be smart. Not all things need a name. Know what I mean? Hopefully, you are not really listening and are smelling lavender instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment