Saturday, October 3, 2009

Can't we all just get along?

What if God is in you and outside of you. What if we are descended from some sort of species and the whole evolution theory is true? It seems like people often tilt one way or the other. I know a person who believes that God is outside you. That God is separate and created everything. I haven't asked her about monkeys and if she thinks we came from that. I knew better and didn't want to get "the look." Although I hear that now it is not monkeys we are directly descended from but something else that swung around on trees.

Then there are the others who think the whole Bearded Guy in the White Caftan thing is ridiculous and that there is only science. And then there are others who believe in Spirit, or Nature. Or nothing until proven exactly.

Well my thoughts on all of this, is why not believe in EVERYTHING. Now this may seem like I am just afflicted with a bad case of the I'll have everything on my burger-itis. And I must admit, back in my sugar eating days, when I went to Dairy Queen, I was the type to get EVERY POSSIBLE CANDY shoved in my frozen soft serve, so there was barely any room for the soft serve at all. Just enough for a nice big stomach ache. So there is a pattern here. But my thought is that it is soothing to think that GOD is inside me. That anything magnificent that exists, is created within me. But I also believe there is magnificence outside of me. And I am up for the possibility that there are spirits and such that create events.

And I believe that science determines the reason for all sorts of actions, such as the explanation for why words are pouring out of me as my fingers dance along on these keys. I don't have to choose. And I don't NEED to choose. But it doesn't make sense, to have ALL of that, you might say. I don't care. As long as I find all sorts of ideas that interest me, what do I care if they don't match. After all, I mix and match all different black clothing, which is not done in some high-fashion circles.

I am wondering if we might not be a bit happier if we spent less time DISproving. The GOD people do not like the EVOLUTION people telling them that there is another way. And the EVOLUTION people think the GOD people are naive, or irrational, or backwards. Now don't get on me for using three nasty adjectives about GOD people, and only one for EVOLUTION people. I do not have a favorite.

I could never choose just one candy. Or just one movie. Or just one book. I like it all.

Can't we all? Just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment